Educational Board Game Design
"Shoestring Budget" Educational Board Game
Learning how to manage money, budget for fix and variable expenses, avoid debt and plan for ones future are essential lifelong skills. Learning through the simulation of the board game, the players will learn to pay bills, save for unexpected expenses, make wise decisions in order to collect quality stars (points) and learn to balance their budget without the use of a credit card. This game will hopefully provide a foundation for students to transfer what they learn in school and apply critical judgment, problem solving, and achieve their potential to improve their lives. It will help high school students prepare to go to college and live on their own while living on a tight budget.
What was my role in the project?
My role was as the researcher and designer for this project. This project was created in collaboration with Amber Judge.
- I researched the content and need for this project
- I identified the audience and context for this project
- I wrote the learning objectives
- I co-designed the rules and process for the game
- I co-designed the structure and layout of the board game
- I designed and developed the chance and expense cards for the game